Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Destined to be F.A.T.

Ever try escaping your destiny? Seems like a difficult task to accomplish. I don't think I have ever met anyone who has escaped their destiny...maybe because none of us know what our final outcome will be...we do not know what will be the pinnacle of our success...I mean, unless of course you have fortune-telling abilities [couldn't resist throwing in some dry humor.] The point I am trying to make is that we will not know what our fate is until we get there. That being said, why is it that most of us try to avoid what is standing right in front of us?

Over the past couple of years, I have played with this question. College is a great example. A lot of people use college as an excuse to start over...to re-invent themselves. College provides plenty of opportunities to meet new people, create new social circles, and join different clubs and organizations. A good amount of people figure out what they want to do for the rest of their lives [career-wise] within the tenure of their stay at university. The environment offers a clean slate, especially if an individual wants to erase and/or forget about his or her high school years. This is completely fine...everyone deserves a fresh start; however, sometimes we miss out on the opportunity to capitalize off ourselves, because we are too busy trying to satisfy friends, acquaintances, and the people with whom we work. What I'm getting at is the reasoning that we are too occupied with other activities that we tend to overlook our own potential...

 
Photo Credit: Taylor Krenza
But college is just one example. The reality is, the overlooking of one's own potential abilities is a characteristic that sticks with most human beings throughout life. There are so many talents, so many unique abilities that are never discovered, because we go too far out of our own way to pay attention to ourselves and exercise/practice upon the skills that we have to offer. I certainly did not know, nor could I predict the amount of success I have encountered in turning my health around; but I encountered the beginning of my journey during a particular period of time. The difference between me and others, is that I decided to stick with that encounter and ride it out, as far as it would take me...which, as of today, has been one of the best decisions of my life.

 
Photo Credit: Taylor Krenza
Because of this journey, I have unlocked a multitude of abilities that I did not know I had before. I can now approach difficult and mentally trying situations head-on. I now know what it's like to fall down and get back up, as well as rising after being pushed down (metaphorically speaking). I found out that I LOVE food. I love food so much, that if I had the opportunity too, I would have taken a few nutrition courses in college. I probably would have also taken a few courses in exercise science and human anatomy. I certainly do not regret my two majors that I have undertaken in college; however, who could have known that one day I would develop such a passion for health/wellness/exercise/nutrition/dietary habits.

It's okay to pay more attention to yourself. It's okay to make a few sacrifices in order to spend more time with yourself, appreciating yourself, and discovering what you have to offer not only to yourself, but also the positive impacts you can make in other lives and even the world!

As always, Peace, Love and Nutella!

"F.A.T." (my initials)
Title Credit: Alice Ree

No comments:

Post a Comment