Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reaching Your Exercise Goals

I was over my friend's apartment last night, and she asked me if I would make a post about progression of exercise routines. She mentioned something very important to me...that, even though I may be at a certain level now, when it comes to my running, I did not start off that way, at the beginning of my journey. She was exactly right, and it is certainly a conversation worth noting.

Of course, at the beginning of my exercise journey, I could only commit to what I was capable of at the time. When I first started running outside of my building during my sophomore year of college, I could not run one full mile. After a quarter of a mile, I would be out of breath, and after half a mile to three quarters of a mile, I'd surely be ready to collapse on the ground. Now, you may be asking, "Why was it impossible for you to run a mile, Forrest?" Well, in case you are asking yourself this question, I'll list some possible answers below:

  1. I was a novice runner.
  2. I was not prepared (Nutritionally, physically, and mentally).
  3. I began my running journey with negative flashbacks from middle/high school gym.
  4. My expectations far exceeded the current reality (I thought I would be able to hit the pavement and run for miles)
So with the previous thoughts in mind, how did I train myself to get to the level that I am at today (running 6 miles every other day, on average)?

  •  Patience
    • Patience is one of the most important things to keep in mind when trying to develop progress within an exercise plan/routine. You will not achieve the results that you want by attempting to rush. Remember, "Rome was not built in a day."
  • Variety
    • Sometimes it takes other exercise to improve your performance within the one exercise that you want to seek results in. There were a lot of things that I did in addition to running that improved my goals within running (i.e., crunches/sit-ups to tighten my core, basic squats to strengthen my hamstrings, etc.) I began to focus on the parts of my body that heavily contributed to the longevity of my runs.
  •   Dividing Larger Goals:
    • Taking larger goals and breaking them up into smaller goals can be a better way (mentally) to achieve your larger goals. For example, if I have a goal to increase my routine from running six miles to seven miles within two weeks, I will start off running six miles one day, then two days later attempt six and 1/4 miles, then two days after that 6 & 1/2, two days after that 6 & 3/4 and then two days after that I would attempt to go for 7 miles. Intervals can be your best friend!
  • Knowledge of your environment:
    • I know first hand, as a runner, that environment is key to the success of each individual run. Running on a treadmill is a different experience than running on a track, which is an altogether different experience that running on pavement. The course of your run will affect the consistency of your speed and the comfort of your experience. Personally, during the winter, I stick indoors with the treadmill. When the warmer weather comes around, I prefer running either on a trail, sidewalks, or, if I'm lucky enough to have access, a track.


I've since come a long way from the days of my quarter-of-a-mile runs, but since then, I have progressively increased the length, comfort, and knowledge of my runs. While I am serious about my exercise routines these days, I like to take a lighthearted attitude toward them at the same time, realizing that just because I plan on reaching a certain goal with one particular exercise on a certain day, does not mean that it will always happen. Sometimes, my body just isn't up to it, and I've come to understand that's okay too. It is okay to push your limits sometimes, as long as you can push yourself to next level without hurting or injuring yourself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post! As always, Peace, Love and Nutella!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this!! It was really good to read and something I will def keep in mind as I work up my fitness goals

    ReplyDelete