Saturday, January 25, 2014

Find Your Niche

We all have a routine that we like to stick to. Wake up. Brush teeth. Shower. Get dressed. Grab newspaper and coffee. Off to class/work/wherever. We know what time we like to wake up, what toothpaste we prefer, which garments to wear on a particular day, which coffee shop to caffeinate at, etc. Our routines are comprised of activities that we are comfortable with, brands we are comfortable with, and places we are comfortable with. So, why shouldn't exercise be the same?

As mentioned in my previous "Gym-timidation" post, I started out doing exercises in my dorm room. Not long after, I began to go running outside, when the weather permitted. How could I have known that nearly two years later, running would be my favorite exercise?


I'll even take it a step further...I love running so much that it is more than just an exercise for me. It's a culture...a lifestyle even. Whenever I'm feeling stressed, I know that I can just pop in my headphones, put on an awesome power-workout playlist, and zone in on my goal.

Running has taught me a lot of transferable life lessons: i.e. going the distance, endurance, sustainability, being thorough, overcoming failures, to name a few. The amount of joy it brings me is kind of geek-worthy (no shame :-) To say that I found my exercise niche in running just might be an understatement.

Sooooo....How do you find your exercise niche? 

Try as many different activities as possible! You might enjoy crunches more than running, or the treadmill more than the elliptical. You just have to get out there and try it! Once I found my comfort zone in running, I began to diversify my options. I ran on the track, in my neighborhood, around parking lots, on the treadmill, in the city, etc. The weather can make the experience fun too...if running is your thing, try going for a run in the pouring rain, or after a fresh blanket of snow has fallen!



The most important thing to do is to BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Nobody knows your body, your habits, or comfort zone, like you do. You have to stand up to yourself and say "Look {insert name here}...whether I want to or not, I'm going to try this exercise today." By diversifying your options, you never know what exercise opportunities you will be exposed to; and, who knows, maybe you'll find your niche somewhere along the way!!

Peace, love, and Nutella :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment