Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Scale: Friend or Foe?

Many of you may be wondering how I came up with the title of this blog, "How to Lose a Scale in Ten Weighs." It obviously may remind you of the similarly entitled, hit movie starring Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson. In fact I developed my title while watching this movie.



Some of you may also be asking yourselves, 'Why would Forrest want to lose a scale?' Well, in the early stages of my weight loss journey, I became obsessed with the numbers on the scale, rather than focusing on my goals for a healthy lifestyle as a whole. At the beginning of my journey, it did not take long for me to notice the numbers dropping on the scale...in fact, it seemed almost too easy when I finally got into the swing of things. The reality was that the initial weight to come off of my body was moisture, due to water retention. Anything from water weight to perspiration weight added to my success. Instead of each workout being an integral part of a larger workout plan, my weekly exercises became an excuse for me to hop on the scale EVERYDAY, with the expectation that some type of miraculous weight loss had taken place.

Ladies, gentlemen, aliens (once again, excuse my dry humor), and everyone else in between: do not create false expectations for yourself!! Just because you do a particular exercise one day, does not mean you'll necessarily see results immediately. You may not see any physical changes or changes in the numbers on the scale immediately, but be rest assured that changes are taking place. The most important task is to maintain a positive attitude and environment for you to achieve your specific, positive results.





No comments:

Post a Comment